CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Crazy Horse Memorial and Mount Rushmore

So this morning we woke up in Custer, SD. We were on the road again by 7:30 and headed to do a little more sight seeing. We went to two different National Monuments-Crazy Horse Memorial and Mount Rushmore. Both were pretty amazing, but if I had to choose, I like Crazy Horse much better.

This is actually what Crazy Horse Memorial looks like right now. I know it is a little blurry, but we couldn't get close to it at all. One thing that is really amazing is that the little hole in the mounntain is actually not so little. It is actually big enough to hold a ten story building!!! From here it looks so small.

This is what the memorial will look like once it has been completed. I don't think I will ever see the completion of it in my lifetime. There is a lot of blasting that still needs to be done. According to our literature, they do the blasting primarily in the Fall and Winter. Pay attention to the area behind Crazy Horse's face; I will explain more later.

As you can tell it is me and my two sisters. We are actually sitting on the hill that Mount Rushmore is carved and George Washington's head was in the background, but I cropped that out.

Matt and I in front of the monument.

Rachel, Ellen, Matt and I walked a really long way to as far as we could to the base of Mount Rushmore. There were 250 steps that we had to walk; needless to say I was really exhausted when I reached the end.

0 comments: